Every New Years, a popular tradition is to make a set of resolutions for the coming year. And its almost a tradition to fail at keeping them too.
This year I’ve decided I’m not making resolutions. I’m making goals. While its not really all that different, when you say “Goal” that puts less stress on meeting it while still being a motivator. It also allows you to be more flexible. If a goal needs altered, it feels less like a failure.
My goals for 2016 are as follows.
- Write on this blog every day.
- Write on 750words every day. For those who don’t know, 750 words is a website that is dedicated to keeping people writing by setting a daily goal of 750 words. You go on there and you get points for keeping up with your writing. It also gives you statistics on the mood of what you wrote, how many pauses and breaks you took (basically any break in typing over 3 minutes) and various other data. Its a good tool if you have trouble getting yourself writing. Its also a good place for brainstorming because it saves all your entries for the month, so you can go back and see what you wrote when you just sat down and wrote for 30 minutes or so.
- Revitalize my graphic design portfolio. Revitalize my love for graphic design. Start an Etsy store and start earning income for what I went to college for.
- Get a new day job. My current job gives me too much stress for not enough money to pay all my bills.
- Read 52 books. My friends and I have a yearly project where we try to read at least 50 books in a year. I decided to make it 52 this year as there are 52 weeks in the year. As I have only once made it to 50, we shall see if this was a good idea or not. The basic premise is that I will read books available in (e)print (ie Fanfiction doesn’t really count, sadly) on their own (so book on short stories is one book, you can’t count it by story). Also it needs to be primarily reading, so math text books don’t count either.
It will effect this blog as I will do a review/end notes for each book I read this year. I will also keep a page listing all my books for the year along with links to their review/commentary post. This will be tagged/categorized as bookit (Does anyone else remember that program? I hope it still exists.)
- Read a book on each president so I know one thing about each of them other then they were President at some point. So far I’ve only done Washington, and of course I know all the presidents Post Reagan. I might make this a running post of mine. Perhaps that is tomorrow’s Post topic – What I learned about Washington.
- Draw each day.
- Finish an original novel. Also finish a couple of my fandom related projects. Get my WIP list down to under 10 (its at 30+ right now)
- Learn to drive.
I don’t know how many of these goals I will manage to achieve, but I felt that writing them all down on a post might give me more motivation to keep it. After all, I told everyone I would do it, didn’t I?
So here’s me keeping at least one of my goals for the day. Now to just do my 750 words writing and start reading Jane, Stewardess of the Air Lines by Ruth Wheeler which is an old novel. The copyright inside my copy reads 1934.